If you are feeling overwhelmed and don’t know where to start, put dates and times in your diary that will work for you and stick to them. Doing a little each day even if it’s only ten minutes, will eventually add up. Call a friend to hold you accountable if necessary! Or get the family involved.
- Make a list of your priority areas. You can tick them off as you go along
- Choose an easy or small area/category at first, such as under your sink or one category of clothes
- Only keep the items you love and use – be honest with yourself!
- Reorganise your keep items in a way that makes sense to you and functions well
- Purchase or up-cycle storage only once you have decided on what you are keeping
It is completely okay to do a space in stages, if that is what will work for you. By breaking tasks down into bite sized chunks, it avoids stress and procrastination. The more often you declutter, the easier it becomes and stops the anxiety and overwhelm. It will clear your mind, lift your energy and boost your levels of productivity, too.